recipe from Meta Givens Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking, 1955
Beef Hash No. 2 (there is also a No. 1 version)
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tablespoons bacon fat
4 medium sized potatoes
milk
2 cups diced, cooked leftover beef roast
salt & pepper to taste
parsley
Saute onions in bacon drippings until soft. Add potatoes, diced small, and beef; add just enough milk to cover, and seasonings. Mix well, cover skillet and simmer until under side of hash is well browned. Slide hash onto a hot platter and garnish with parsley.
I made about half this much (and used about 1/4 of an onion). Didn't have bacon fat so I used a little butter and some bacon bits instead. Also, I chopped the onion instead of slicing.
2 comments:
Hey Shar - sounds good!! We had hamburger patties, with mashed taters, gravy and corn and peaches. Yum, yum. Well, it was eaten anyway!! Might hhave to try this recipe of yours though. Sounds like a good way to use up leftover roast. Of course, that means I'd have to cook a roast - Vince would be appreciative of that!!
Well, gotta go watch *Jordon* with my love
Thank you for the recipe. Sounds really good.
Post a Comment