Monday, October 10, 2005

Columbus Day?

Why do they change the "old" holidays around? Columbus Day is October 12. Is it observed on Monday all the time now? I'm old and forgetful these days. With no kids in school anymore, I can't keep track of all the holidays they change around and the ones they've added. Thank goodness they've left Thanksgiving and Christmas alone.....for now. It used to be we observed the holiday on the actual day of the holiday. I bet if you asked kids now what day is Lincoln's or Washington's birthday they wouldn't know, since they've been "lumped" together as President's Day for so long now.

Are schools, post offices and banks closed in observance of Columbus Day, or not?

2 comments:

Shar said...

That stinks. I had Columbus Day off when I worked for the state, but everywhere else I had to work. Kids are out of school here though. I thought all schools were supposed to be closed on National Holidays? I know we don't have mail, and I believe the banks are also closed. Many schools chose to "swap" Columbus Day for the day after Thanksgiving several years ago, now that I think about it.

Erika said...

I think it's more annoying that all city, state and federal employee's get the day off but my dh who is a state employee and teaches at the university level doesn't. They take Cesar Chavez day off but not Veterans Day or Presidents Day. Only in California. Hee hee.