I didn't mention that Randy threw his back out last weekend. He did it carrying out the goose decoys on one of his hunting trips. It got continually worse all week to the point he's been sleeping in the recliner every night and I've been putting his socks on for him every morning. He has always had kinks in his back and has occasionally seen a chiropractor over the years as a result of his wrestling in high school and college. Well today finally, he went to see the chiropractor. Imagine his surprise first when the doctor wanted to take xrays and then told him he found a vertebrae that has been broken for YEARS!!! It had to have happened within the past 8-10 years or so because he had seen a chiropractor not long prior to that timeframe and the dr never mentioned it. But neither of us can recall any fall or accident of any kind that would have produced obvious back pain so we're at a loss as to when and how this happened.
The broken vertebrae is at the bottom of his spine and has, apparently, been trying to heal itself for years causing a big spur, of sorts, to form in that area. It obviously doesn't bother, which is one reason he didn't realize it was broken, but it's so far from where it's supposed to be that it will never heal now with all the build up it has created during the years of regenerating. He was shocked when he saw the xray, needless to say! If he had not been in such good shape, he probably would have noticed long ago and had major problems. Thank goodness for that.
He goes back Monday for follow up. But, that said, he does feel better and thinks he might even be able to sleep in bed tonight instead of in the recliner in the living room! He just went to bed, so we'll see how long till he gets up and heads for the recliner....keep your fingers crossed.
WOW. What a shocker. :(
9 comments:
OWWWW - Amazing that can go on for son long and one not know about it. Praying for some relief of the pain for him.
Hugz
jennifer
Thanks you guys.
Ang--Jen and I are in chat right now. Come on over! :)
Poor Randy. Did the Chiropractor recommend any type of Physical Therapy for him? ANY type of treatment? When back pain becomes chronic, it is a real PAIN (no pun intended). How about heat? Back exercises? Hope he gets relief soon. OUCH!!!
Mae
Oh man Shar that stinks! I sure hope that he does get relief from it soon. That was good that he was in good shape but you would almost think that it was a hinderance at times also because of not knowing problems when they occur--not trying to be negative just stating a fact. KWIM? Hugs to both of you.
Rhonda
OUCH!!!!
Sorry for the back pain. Understand how that is. Back injury almost 9 years ago and never the same.
Glad he's getting some good help. I know the "socks" thing--there are days--AFTER work where Amber has to take mine off, cause I just can't reach that far.
Hugs to the both of you.
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. He has a follow up appt on Monday and I assume at that time he'll know more about any treatment, physical therapy, etc. if necessary. His dad had three back surgeries, the first when Randy was just 10 or 12, and the last one a couple of years before he passed away--that one wouldn't heal because of all the scar tissue and he had major problems.
Yesterday morning, before he had even considered calling for an appointment, he talked about how hard it was on his dad having back problems all his life and that he didn't know if he could handle it if it happened to him. Then to find this out. Ugh.
I'll post an update when we know more.
Sorry to hear that, Shar. I've had two back surgeries on the same disc. Man, make sure he takes good care of his back.
Hey Shar,
Sure hope Randy is feeling a little better tonight. I can't imagine sleeping in the recliner. Poor guy.
I also want to say "thanks" for your help earlier today. Got the avatar in my profile. I know you were feeling rotten today so it was extra nice of you!!!
Doug--
Randy's dad had 3 back surgeries over the years so he's well aware, and a little concerned naturally, of what can happen if he doesn't take care of it. Hope you're doing better as a result of your surgeries. I can't imagine, personally. I'll be sure to give him your message.
Post a Comment