There really isn't much to see, quite honestly! LOL The kitchen is inky dinky as you will see. But, even as tiny as it is, it was added onto some 10 years or so before Randy bought the house. It's a very odd addition that doesn't flow well at all and is basically wasted space, sadly. Randy built an eating bar type thing (we never use it for eating and he is always piling stuff there--I hate it) in the big open "window" from the dining room into the wasted addition-space. We currently use the wasted area as a mud room, but I hope to someday incorporate it into my kitchen remodel plan. If I should live so long. :::eyeroll:::
I love my new cabinet hardware. These are from Lee Valley. They used to be the cheapest, plain, silver curved pulls from the 50s on white cabinets (painted over horrid yellow). The cabinets are horrid too. They aren't even 12" deep. Randy had to literally carve out half the thickness of one of the doors so my new plates will fit. They are not even a full 11 1/2" plates. This kitchen has major, major issues. But the new hardware helps, don't you think? They look white in this pic but they are actually a creamy ivory color called sand something (I can't find the paint chip at the moment). This creamy color will eventually be on the ceiling too.This is a built-in hutch type thing (no idea what it's called--house was built in the early 50s) which is at the end of the hallway as you come around through the dining area to the kitchen.
Took this one tonight. You can see the creamy color better in the evening light.
Took this one in the morning light.
Ever heard someone say you don't know shit from shinola? Well, here is the original Shinola shoe polish. The bottle in this box is full. There is no year on the box, but I think the last time my grampa had an occasion to shine his shoes was for my mom's wedding in 1953.
Looking straight into the kitchen from the dining table (built-in is directly left outside the shot)
From here you can see my pot rack with my beautiful hard anodized cookware. LOL
Viewing from the opposite end of the kitchen, from the sliding door at the back of the house (mud room to the left). At the far end is my 50% off Joann find. I may decide to hang my aprons on this cute rack.



Some of my collection of vintage kitchen pieces. These spice tins and boxes are all originals from my grama's cupboard. Some of them still have spices in them! They are dated early 40s.
These are my kitchen art pieces. I collected the silver from various thrift stores, the frames used to hold watermelon prints from Pier 1 (that used to hang in my watermelon themed kitchen), and the paper mats I made from chipboard and scrapbook cardstock from the Comstock Kitchen Collection. Dig out the hot glue gun and voila! Kitchen art.




4 comments:
Wow, I green and red kitchen too, except mine is dark green. Love what you did. Is that wallpaper in the back of the built-ins? Cute, cute, cute!!! You did a great job, Shar! I have a lot of collectables , too, some family, some from antiquing. Fun!
Thank you, Cindy. I will go back and add how I did the back of the built-ins. It's a trick I saw on Martha Stewart Living (tv show) several years ago.
Love your kitchen! Mine is done in antiques also, mostly old milk bottles from the family dairy and old advertising tins.
You did a great job on it!
:J
Thanks, Jayne. :) I do love all my old goodies!
I would have a lot more "cool old stuff" but my mom seems to attach no sentimental or heirloom value to things so, while she is happy to have many of my grama's furnishings and such, she doesn't seem to care about taking care of her own things that us kids might have sentimental feelings for. My mom is sort of an odd duck. I take after my dad, thank goodness. LOL
Post a Comment