Monday, August 14, 2006

Kidless once again

Olivia and Mila went home Saturday. We had quite a week. Having both of them was fun, but really wore me out. Had a pretty major combination fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue attack while they were here, and spent a couple of days hobbling around and just trying to stay awake. Mila is still little enough that she was fine the whole time, but Olivia is just not cut out for long sleepovers away from home. Not only that, but she is so uncomfortable around us, particularly around Randy, that I don't get a single minute break unless she's asleep. She didn't want to be here and she told me so several times. I think she stays only because she feels like she should want to and does it to please her mom. Three days is her max and she had a MAJOR meltdown on the third day. FIVE hours of hysterical crying. It was not pleasant. Long story short, I wasn't going to tell Sally, but when it continued the minute Olivia woke up the following morning, I made the call. Now get this. It turns out that she was upset about going fishing---not because she couldn't go (which she had said all along she really wanted to go) but because we made plans to go.....WHAT?! Well, Sally thinks she is fine and needs to get used to it, but I don't agree. Olivia is completely miserable when she's here (no matter what she tells her mom after the fact), Sally and I are going to HAVE to have a serious talk about it before she comes again. Olivia counts the hours till it's time to go home the entire time she's here. It's not fair to her, and it certainly isn't fair to us, to expect her to stay that long when she really doesn't want to be here.

All in all, however, we had a fun time. As I mentioned, Olivia had tons of plans so I tried to keep her occupied. We made ice cream, watched movies, painted--her favorite activity, made snowcones, played Strawberry Shortcake and Disney Princess Spinning Wishes, and colored with crayons. And we read stories every night.

Mila is a totally different personality than Olivia, and I think she'll always be more adaptable and more comfortable in her surroundings than Olivia will be. She's only 2 years old and did great! Never even mentioned her mom once. LOL.

I've been trying to post pics, but blogspot is being an ass and won't post them so I'll try back later. Grrrrrr!!!

4 comments:

Ruth.E said...

Yep, blogger wont work for me either. So frustrating. Five hours crying, when that happened to me I rang the parents and said come get the kid (my nephew), they were so pissed off with me but honestly it was in no-ones best interest to see a child so distressed. Glad you survived it, you must have more patience than me.
Ruth

Cindy Marchant said...

Yikes, Shar! I was hoping Olivia would do better this time around. Maybe she just isn't the type of kid who can be away from her own home. She may get better when she gets older, who knows. And I agree, you do have a lot of patience!

Kip said...

yeah, no way, 5 hours and she would be packing, lol!!! No wonder you didn't feel good!

Shar said...

Ruth, there was no way she could go home prior to our arranged day as my dd lives 200 miles away. I agree, it would have been better for everyone, but we all survived.

Cindy, I totally agree that she is not the type to be away from home like that. Two days she does fine, the third day is her max. And mine. LOL

Kip, you're so right. LOL! The stress of that day alone, and still 4 more left, just wasn't good for anyone, including me. I really don't want to do that again. =:O